The objectives of WDoR 2021 are to provide a platform for road traffic victims and their families to:
- remember all people killed and seriously injured on the roads;
- acknowledge the crucial work of the emergency services;
- draw attention to the generally trivial legal response to culpable road deaths and injuries
- advocate for better support for road traffic victims and victim families;
- promote evidence-based actions to prevent and eventually stop further road traffic deaths and injuries
The University of Nairobi Vice -Chancellor Prof Stephen Kiama joined the UoN Road Safety Mainstreaming Committee led by Prof. Ayub Gitau in observing a minute of silence in honor of the fallen road accident victims on Wednesday 17-November-2021 and thereafter proceeded to plant trees.
WDoR 2021 puts the spotlight on the reduction of traffic speeds – Low speeds, which have the potential to prevent many deaths and serious injuries, in particular those of pedestrians and all other vulnerable road users i.e children, elderly and the disabled.