The University of Nairobi is proud of the continued Partnership with the Huawei Technologies Ltd. Since the signing of a Collaborative Agreement in 2018. Through this partnership, the University was awarded ‘The Best ICT Academy 2022’ during the Huawei ICT Competition 2022-2023 Award Ceremony held on Friday February 24, 2023 at the Serena Hotel.
The Huawei ICT Skills Competition is a competitive ICT talent exchange training developed for University/College students globally. Since 2018, the University has participated in this healthy development of an ICT talent ecosystem and supported the integration of industry and education through students’ enrollment in the competition.
The Dean of Students Mr. Johnson Kinyua represented the Vice Chancellor during this award ceremony.
In his Speech, Mr. Kinyua highlighted the strides and achievements that the Partnership with Huawei has borne
- Establishment of the UoN ICT Academy in 2018 - established to develop, implement and offer support in systems and network infrastructures with the goal to support core mandate of University of Nairobi; that is in researching, learning and teaching.
- ICT Skills Trainings for over 600 UoN Students - in Datacom, cloud computing, security and storage tracks.
- Recognition as the best ICT Academy and Best Instructor– twice in 2018 and 2019 for consistently producing Best Students in the Huawei ICT Competitions. Two UoN Instructors, George Ndegwa and Ruth Wambua form the ICT Center were also recognized as the best Instructors in 2022.
- Students linked to the Huawei Management Trainee program – over 50 students have enrolled for the 6 months internship program with others securing job opportunities after the program. The program has provided the students with opportunities for personal and career growth through Huawei projects work exposure.
- Organizing and hosting ICT Job Fairs in partnership with the University – The University has hosted 3 Huawei ICT Job Fairs in 2018, 2019 and 2022. The Job Fair brings together local partners to offer job and internship opportunities in the technology and science related fields.
- Signing of Academy Support Center (ASC) MOU –The University of Nairobi signed a new Collaborative Agreement with Huawei on July 29, 2022 making the University an Academy Support Center (ASC). The Center promotes and provides support to the Huawei ICT Academies within Kenya.
- Industrial Visits – The University nominated students for Industrial Visits to Huawei in 2018 and 2021
The University looks forward to a continued partnership with Huawei Technologies in generating a pool of ICT professionals in society to play a key role in boosting the Kenyan ICT Sector and economy to greater strides.